Compliance Specialist – North Dakota
Core Living is seeking an energetic, dedicated professional to join our team in North Dakota as a Compliance Specialist. Come join our thriving multifamily property management company currently ranked No. 801 on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. We manage student housing, affordable, and market rate apartments in more than a dozen cities in 6 states.
You’re passionate about your work and driven to achieve ambitious goals. You step up when the team needs an extra hand and aren’t afraid to ask for help when you need it. You make smart decisions because you get the big picture and ace the little details. In other words, you share our corporate values — passion, work ethic, teamwork, integrity, and ownership mindset. As a Compliance Specialist, you will assist with the day-to-day operations and management of the tax credit and other funding programs that require detailed income verification and periodic reporting to other agencies.
As a Compliance Specialist, you will help us fulfill our mission of connecting residents to community. In a given day, your tasks may include:
- Keep up to date on all changes in affordable housing regulations.
- Assist in distribution and training of compliance information to property management personnel.
- Track timeliness and accuracy of household certifications submitted by property management.
- Assist with pre-audit file reviews and file audits by monitoring agencies.
- Monitor’s compliance activities to ensure the timely and accurate gathering of initial, interim and annual resident eligibility verifications.
- Ensures tenant files are program compliant, as it relates to program eligibility, documentation, and filing requirements by reviewing and approving property management generated resident file documentation and certification packets and by performing pre-audit file reviews.
- Ensures properties employ the correct leasing procedures (including tenant screening) and forms and comply with applicable leasing laws.
- Timely and accurate preparation, submission and tracking of assigned rental assistance funding from MHFA and other agencies that provide Section 8-like rental subsidy (e.g., Continuum of Care, Housing Trust Fund, NAZ-ATS)
- Timely and accurate data entry of pertinent resident and compliance data in Yardi, the Compliance Dashboard, PORT and other databases (s), which identify and track the compliance status of all programs for which PPL is responsible.
- Provides continued support and guidance on compliance matters by responding to compliance-related questions from property management personnel and providing clear and concise written notification and interpretations of program regulations and changes.
- Completes annual/quarterly/monthly compliance reporting as required.
- Regularly visits all properties in the assigned portfolio.
- High school diploma or equivalent; post-secondary education preferred.
- Tax Credit Compliance Specialist (TCCS) or Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS) designation preferred or successful completion of at least one within one year.
- Minimum 2 years of experience as a compliance specialist, site manager, or assistant manager responsible for processing paperwork and regulation compliance for a property or properties with LIHTC and HUD Program, such as HOME or Project-Based Section 8.
- Familiarity with low-income housing funding mechanisms, including operating subsidy programs and compliance-related issues.
- Creative problem-solving skills, excellent organization and planning skills, sound judgment and the ability to make decisions.
- Ability to deal with shifting priorities, multiple tasks, and deadlines.
- Possesses initiative and thrives in a fast-paced work environment.
- Solid time management skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent attention to details
- Is team-oriented and flexible in assuming new responsibilities as they arise.
- Proficient computer literacy, including Microsoft Excel, Outlook, and Word
- Demonstrates cultural competence with diverse populations.
- Able to work independently according to specific directions and timelines.
Core Living is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates will be required to pass a criminal background check, motor vehicle report, and drug test.